BeePree2 Tubes

figby · 1827

Offline figby

on: January 11, 2023, 05:12:41 AM
My BeePree2 is fully upgraded and sounds fantastic, but I have 1 thing I'd like to fix and need some advise. I'm currently running the stock EH 300B tubes and very pleased with the sound, however....(don't hate me too much) they don't have that lovely tube glow unless it's completely dark and you're standing very close. Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement tubes that will glow nicely and sound as good? I know it's all a bit silly and I've read all the threads on this board about replacement/upgrade 300B tubes but this critical information (glow, no glow) is missing. Any help?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 05:20:10 AM
Your choices are to either buy the Elrog 300B and modify the circuit accordingly, or get a mesh/perforated plate tube where you can see the filament through the plate. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline figby

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 06:26:30 AM
Many thanks!

Online sl-15

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:30:06 PM
Have a look at the photo in this recent BeePre thread. Also read a bit further down how the photo has been taken. It was in a dark room and the phone camera exaggerates the tube glow. But this might be still what you are looking for.
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=14317.0

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline figby

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 04:31:33 AM
Have a look at the photo in this recent BeePre thread. Also read a bit further down how the photo has been taken. It was in a dark room and the phone camera exaggerates the tube glow. But this might be still what you are looking for.
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=14317.0

Thank you for that link - somehow I missed that thread.

Those Sophia Electric 300B Mesh Plates look to be the best fit but at this point I'm hitting the brakes on spending $500 just to see pretty lights - especially when I'm really, really happy with the sound.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 06:08:40 PM
I have a set of the TJ mesh which I believe are probably the same as the Sophie. I have had them a long time and they have been good reliable tubes but they are not really mesh but rather  perforated plates. In a darkened room they are pretty but not like that photo in a reasonablely lit room...John

John Scanlon

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 10:59:24 AM
I’ll add that the EML mesh you can only really see when it’s dead dark in the room. If you want pretty lights, add some low watt LED below the tube. There are some sites with ideas for this. The Elrog tubes glow much brighter as do any thoriated tungsten tune but I will never purchase them again.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 11:41:02 AM
add some low watt LED below the tube.
Where is the ban button when we need it?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 12:18:10 PM
 :o

Aaron Johnson