Favorite lyric quotes

Rabco · 3243

Offline Rabco

on: January 15, 2023, 10:12:16 AM
Harkening back to a time before the dinosaurs, my friends and I would have conversations made up of quotes from the Firesign Theater……not music certainly but recordings nonetheless.

Jumping forward to today and quotes from *music* that have meaning, or simply your admiration, share away!

“I’ve run every red light on memory lane. Seen desperation explode into flame. And I don’t want to see it again”—Dire Straits

“Some kind of man can’t do anything wrong. If I see him, I’ll tell him you’re waiting”—Little Feat

“If learning is living, and the truth is a state of mind, you’ll find its better at the end of the line”—Son Volt

“I feel better than James Brown”—Was (Not Was)

“First you fly, then you die!”—Los Lobos

Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Moreplay pre->NAD C298 power amp->KLH 5 (2023) speakers.
Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Crack/Speedball amp>Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Offline Karl5150

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 01:53:01 PM
For me, 3 songwriters (Springsteen, Bowie and Petty) have written enough meaningful, thought provoking and important lyrics to keep the conversation lively far into the night. There are of course many other well-known and lesser-known artists who have married infinitely quotable words to music. Although very similar to the title and lyrics of 'I'd Trade All Of My Tomorrows', Janis singing Kris Kristofferson's lyric ...But I'd trade all my tomorrows for one single yesterday... is close to perfection for me.
But the line that would make it on to a license-plate frame:
...If you don't expect too much from me
You might not be let down... - Gin Blossoms
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Rabco

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 01:06:16 AM
Excellent examples.
The Boss’s refrain “baby thats the power of prayer” from his song of the same name is a current ear worm for me.
Kim Richey has a “silk blouse that she’s not afraid to use”.
And one of my all time favorites from Jim White—“I have ten miles to go on a 9 mile road. But I don’t care.” Followed by “the power of love will take you there” in response.

Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Moreplay pre->NAD C298 power amp->KLH 5 (2023) speakers.
Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Crack/Speedball amp>Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Offline Ken

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 08:28:14 AM
Tom Petty - "a rebel without a clue"

"It is not that I am mad; it is just that my head is different from yours" - Diogenes of Sinope

Offline Mike F1

• Flyball Equipmemt
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 01:19:09 PM
Two men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong. - Mark Knopfler

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 01:36:19 PM
My mind is in the dirt making mudpies. Deee Lite, Picnic in the park.

Lee R.

Offline Rabco

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 02:40:29 PM
Mary Chapin Carpenter says in one of her songs she feels just like TPetty on her car radio:
I won’t. Back. Down.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 02:57:35 PM by Rabco »

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 05:39:03 PM
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!

John Scanlon