Digital noise in Eros Phono

Kurthaudio · 1517

Offline Kurthaudio

on: January 21, 2023, 06:29:48 AM
Strange as it might sound (pun intended :) I get a slight “digital noise” noise from my Eros. Actually it’s like a morris code at one steady pulse or pop. It was really bad at first until I used one of my diy shielded power cables. The noise almost completely disappeared  however I still can hear it in between tracks when no music is present. If I put my hands on both sides of the wood chassis it completely goes away. To my mind this tells me this must be some sort of RF interference.?.?.

Unfortunately my WIFI and router are within pretty close proximity to my whole hifi system. About a foot and a half away under in a cabinet. My guess would be this is the culprit but I’m not sure. Anyone have any idea to resolve this short of moving the routers to a new location? Would adding aluminum panels to the inside of the wood chassis help? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 06:32:13 AM
Move the Eros or move the WiFi equipment.  Sometimes just an extra foot of space will make all the difference.

To be absolutely sure this is the issue, power those components down while you're hearing the noise to see if it goes away.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ashbrook.m

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 03:18:43 PM
I just had this exact same issue with a Wifi 6 Mesh network node. I could not for the life of me figure out why my left channel had a constant steady "helicopter pop" when it did not happen as I was testing the thing in my basement workshop. I read this post on the forum, picked up the Wifi antenna and moved it closer to the preamp. I was able to hear the noise on both channels suddenly! Wifi box is now an additional foot away and the amp is dead quiet.

Offline debk

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 10:22:10 AM
I had the same thing with my Eros, moving the wifi unit worked

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus