Vishay MKP 1848 Film Caps?

pubcha · 697

Offline pubcha

on: January 26, 2023, 05:03:33 AM
I was looking to upgrade to film caps in my Crack w/ Speedball. I am ordering a few things from Mouser and came across Vishay MKP 1848 caps. I saw a review that used similar Panasonic film caps, but noticed the ESR in the Vishay is much lower (2.5 mOhms vs 5.1 mOhms). Does anybody have any experience with the Vishay MKP 1848 caps, or can possibly give me advice as to whether these would be appropriate in the Crack? Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 05:31:36 AM
Either the Vishay or the Panasonic will work well for that, especially since they have flat sides that can be glued down.  Those ESRs of 0.0025 and 0.005 ohms don't mean much when the output impedance of the amp is around 100 ohms (more than 10,000 times higher than that ESR).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pubcha

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:34:42 AM
Thanks - that's good to know! Are there any other specs that I should be aware of that could influence my decision as to what cap is best? I understand this is a bit of a loaded question, but wondering if there is anything "objective" in the specs that I should look out for?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 08:30:28 AM
I can't think of anything that's particularly important.  The modern crop of DC link style film caps sold by the big distributers are very well made and intended to last a very long time under rough conditions, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them in place of an audiophile type film cap of the same size and voltage rating.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pubcha

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 01:32:32 PM
I really appreciate the advice. I think I'll go with the Vishay's when I put in my order.