New S..E.X. kit finished (mostly)

Bateman147 · 1175

Offline Bateman147

on: February 27, 2023, 05:52:53 PM
Finished up a S.E.X. kit build last night.  Assembly anyway - will wait for more favorable weather to finish the wood base.  Sounds great already!  Listened on headphones last night for a while, which is what I built it for.  Tonight I was curious enough to hear what it sounds like through speakers.  Trying it with 60s era Wharfedale W30d bookshelves - sounds pretty great with those as well! 

I'll try to live with it a bit before doing the c4s upgrade.   Looking forward to hearing the difference with that upgrade - it sounds pretty darn good already.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:02:51 PM by Bateman147 »

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 06:25:17 PM
Looks great! My experience with this amp is that it's as stellar a loudspeaker amp as it is a headphone amp.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Bateman147

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 08:42:56 PM
Man - you're not kidding.  It sounds great through speakers - and got even better with the c4s upgrade. 

I had recently ordered a cheap ultrasonic record cleaner to up the cleaning game from the record Dr vacuum I have and I've been working through deep cleaning lp's - mine & my wife's, plus the pile of my dad's I brought home after mom passed away, and lp's that had been my wife's dad's records.

Between actually clean records and the S.E.X. amp I'm having so much fun listening to albums Im having a hard time stopping for the night. 

It's particularly fun listening to some of dad's albums from his earlier years I was either not around for or a tyke.  Many of them are first pressings from the late 50's and early 60's and sound pretty amazing once they're actually clean.

I had envisioned the S.E.X. amp as mostly a headphone amp, listening to streaming.  It's turning out to be mostly lp's through speakers at the moment.  Pretty awesome!

Next up is a Moreplay preamp...

Cheers!!

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 02:40:43 AM
Nice work. Always good to hear love for the S3X amp. It is my daily-driver, and with the right speakers (and a little help in the bass region) it never fails to present the music in a way that keeps you engaged. Enjoy.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline ccmccull

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 04:04:43 AM
By the way, for vinyl I highly highly recommend the Eros. I bought that kit after I was hooked on building and was looking for an excuse to build more. I already owned a schiit Mani so I almost felt guilty for the splurge on something redundant. But wow oh wow that Eros makes records sing. I had no idea analog could provide so much detail.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 08:45:02 AM
Looking good!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.