BeePre2 with Khozmo attenuator

northwind · 959

Offline northwind

on: March 02, 2023, 09:16:28 AM
I own a Khozmo 10K remote controlled relay based stepped attenuator that I would like to use to replace the sweetest whispers attenuator in a BeePre2 build with the new output buffer.   I  assume I would still need to order the sweetest whispers upgrade to get the C4S.  Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 10:19:13 AM
The Sweetest Whispers were a shunt based attenuator built on plastic Lorlin switches back 15+ years ago for the Foreplay I/II/III.  Due to the low service life of those switches and the difficulty of getting the sweet spot with various source output levels, that design was discontinued.  We replaced this with a 36 step fine/coarse attenuator using open wafer Electro-switch switches which offer vastly longer service life, though they cost a heck of a lot more.

Having said all of that, the answer is that yes, you would need to purchase the entire first upgrade in order to obtain the upgrade parts for the 300B active loads. 

Depending on which of the Khozmo relay attenuators you have, a custom chassis may also be a good idea.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline northwind

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 10:44:18 AM
Thanks Paul.  You did hear what I meant with regards to the naming of the preamp stepped attenuator upgrade.  :)  Also, I did have a custom chassis in mind.  *places order for new toys now*