Thinking about buying an Eros 2

Elijah1 · 1360

Offline Elijah1

on: March 09, 2023, 11:03:29 AM
Title says it all.   Can you tell me how difficult the build is?   How are the instructions?   Have lots of pictures to go off of?   What brand of tubes does it come with? 

How will it match with my Shure V15v? And how difficult is it to add SUTs when I upgrade my cartridge?   

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 11:14:10 AM
The Eros 2 is a little easier to build than a Mainline, but not nearly as easy as something like a Crack or a Reduction.  The instructions provide a high resolution image for each step, unlike other kits I've built where there are a few pictures along the way and mostly written instructions.  The tube comes with Russian EF86s, a Russian 6922, and likely an old stock 12AU7. 

The V-15 will work reasonably well with a stock Eros, though its output isn't as high as many other MM cartridges. I have a few photos posted here of SUTs installed on a few different Eros preamps I have built/worked on over the years:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11097.0

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Elijah1

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 12:44:49 PM
It seems pretty easy.  I’ve done quite a bit of soldering, and can read schematics.  I just don’t want an $800 paper weight because I installed one part wrong.   

The V-15 is a weird one.  Low output, but man with the replacement needle it sounds so good.  Currently using a Schiit Mani, I know I’m leaving a lot on the table with that. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 03:10:46 PM
We are here to help if things go south, and as a last resort I will occasionally offer repair services if things can't be figured out on the forum.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jay

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 08:14:28 AM
I have built a Crack, an Eros 1, a stereomour 2, and a Quicksand.  the manuals are very clear and detailed.  Just take your time and follow the directions. Read what they say about getting good solder joints.  Any questions are generally answered in a short time on these forums.

Jay L.

Offline hmbscott

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 09:04:34 PM
My first kit was a Crack, which I struggled a bit with due to not reading the instructions carefully enough. With that experience, my second kit was the Eros 2, which actually went more smoothly. I also am experienced with reading schematics, soldering and using a DMM. The instructions are complete and thorough, and if followed exactly will lead you to a successful build.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 02:14:14 PM
I've built 8 bottlehead kits if my count is right. IMHO the documentation and circuit design is one of the best in the business. Yes there are are a lot of photos to guide you along the way. If you knew your way around a soldering iron and a DVM you should be fine.

Offline Ascari

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 11:57:33 AM
My first kit was the Eros 1.   Yes you had to be careful and follow the instructions.   It took me a bit longer due to being able to set aside time to do it.   From what I understand, the Eros 2 is a bit easier.   The end result?   Even though the phone preamp you have is really good for its' price range it cannot and never compare to what you will end up with.   I've had my Eros for about 10 years and it is still going strong.   Just recently I thought I found its' future replacement.   That is until I found there was a 2 year wait.  (Decware) Which is twice the price.   Guess what.   I'm keeping my Eros.