Needing help using multimeter [resolved]

jcado35 · 498

Offline jcado35

on: March 13, 2023, 05:58:12 PM
Hello! This is my first post and my first build, I got the crack today and don’t know anything about multimeters and voltages, so I’m a bit lost on page 29 of the crack. Putting my multimeter on 200mv I get around -130 and 200v / 20v I get around 0.0 ~ 0.10 I have no idea what the settings on my multimeter means but I just know the instructions say 175v ac ±20%.

I’ve noticed my multimeter is DC does that make a difference if it’s not ac? I posted pics to show what I’m talking about, is the -130 reading okay, and could I continue with the next steps or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 07:18:53 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 06:52:07 PM
At this point in the build you need to measure AC voltage . Iit seems that your meter only neasures DC voltage.
That meter appears to be used for automotive use only.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:55:21 PM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 07:10:00 PM
Your meter does not seem to have an AC voltage scale, only DC.

DC stands for Direct Current; it's a steady voltage, like a battery. AC is Alternating Current; home power outlets oscillate from plus to minus 60 times each second (in the US). Wikipedia has a good article on AC.

I see that your meter was made for use on cars, so I'll note that alternators produce AC and have rectifiers that turn the AC into DC to charge the battery. (I'm old enough to remember when cars had DC generators and didn't need rectifiers.)

You're going to need a new meter to measure the AC voltage coming into the amp. It doesn't need to be expensive - I believe Harbor Freight has some under $10 that are adequate. Hopefully someone will post some suggestions; this issue often comes up on the forum.

Paul Joppa

Offline hmbscott

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 08:02:34 PM
I recommend a Fluke 101 Digital Multimeter available on amazon for about $45. It's very high quality an relatively easy to use.

A Thsinde Digital Multimeter would also be a good choice, available on amazon for about $20, and comes with both probe and alligator clip leads.

I'll send you a PM with the links, since I cannot post them here.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 04:25:32 AM
That automotive meter is super cool! (but not great for these kits)

If you live near a Harbor Freight, the extremely cheap little red meter they have there is fine for this kind of project.  You'll probably also find that your incoming AC voltage is closer to 120V, not 110V (as you have the Crack wired now).

If you want to spend a little more, the $23 meter at Harbor Freight and a $16 set of silicone meter probes off Amazon is a nice setup.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hmbscott

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 07:12:22 AM
@jcado35,

In your PM to me you said you had blown 2 fuses on tests on both page 23 and also 29. I'm not sure why either. As Paul noted your wiring is for <115VAC mains voltage, which might be wrong depending on where you live, but shouldn't blow fuses. i didn't see anything obvious in your wiring either that might cause it.

If you had your meter set up to measure amperage, maybe that might blow a fuse. Or if you accidentally touched one of your meter probes to short across the wrong two two terminals, that could blow a fuse.

@Paul, any ideas?

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers

Offline jcado35

Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 09:35:41 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I got the proper multimeter and resoldered to the 120v and it’s around 175v now!

The blown fuses were due to the wrong setting and inputs in my vehicle multimeter!

Offline jcado35

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 04:50:37 PM
Finished assembling it and everything is working great, thank you everyone!

Offline hmbscott

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 06:31:41 PM
Congratulations!

Scott

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 08:40:15 PM
Glad you got it sorted out.

Lee R.