How to convert Eros/Smash/Crack to 240 volts?

Jphillips · 2589

Offline Jphillips

on: March 23, 2023, 05:18:25 AM
I'm moving to the UK and wondering how easy/feasible it is to convert my Eros, Smash, and Crack (circa 2014) to 240 volts. Does this require all new transformers, and if so, can these be purchased? Or can it be addressed via rewiring? Or is it not even needed for one/all of these? I know the Eros manual specifically mentions 120 vs 240 v versions, but I couldn't find any mention of this for the Smash or Crack.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 05:25:59 AM
The Eros 1 had a 120V and 240V transformer choice when purchased, and this design migrated to a transformer that could be wired for either voltage with the Eros 2. 

The Smash and Crack 1.0 similarly shipped with two different power transformers.  Cracks on/after about 2016 came with a revised power transformer with a universal primary winding. 

So the answer to your question is that you would indeed need three new power transformers, or to just get a 240:120 step-down box to use instead. 

If you were to buy new transformers, there are no instructions for how to install these in older kits, and some of the pin arrangements are different enough that it can be a bit of work (the older SEX amps in particular are a pain in this regard).  The Eros and Crack wouldn't be super hard to retrofit in my opinion because it has been done in the newer kit, but the Smash will be a very complicated operation since the layout is strongly dictated by the power transformer terminal arrangement.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jphillips

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 05:59:03 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like the easiest solution is just to get a step-down box for handling this. But good to know some of the newer kits have universal windings.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 06:23:53 AM
All of the current kits offer this functionality, so you could always build replacements!  ;D

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man