Custom Stereomour 2

EagleWings · 1165

Offline EagleWings

on: April 17, 2023, 10:35:53 AM
Hello,

I am interested in getting a Stereomour 2. But I was wondering if it would be possible to place a custom order.

1. I am interested in getting Sowter's MuMetal OPTs.
1A. Would it be possible to purchase the kit without the stock OPTs and there by knocking off the price of the OPTs from the kit price?
1B. Would Bottlehead be able to drill the necessary mounting holes on the top plate for the Sowter OPTs?

2. Would it be possible to convert it to run 45 instead of the 2A3?

3. Would it be possible to convert it to run a different driver tube such as the 6SL7?

Cheers,
Vishnu

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 10:48:36 AM
Bottlehead proper will not be able to fulfill something like that.  Kits are done in batches and you're asking for a custom order.  Taking parts out actually can destabilize how things are packed and lead to shipping damage, so generally we just don't offer that option.

I provide construction services and can have a custom top plate milled (or an enclosure for that matter) that can hold the Sowter OTs and I can build your kit for you to use the #45.  I would not, however, substitute the 6SL7 in place of the 12AT7s because I would consider that a poor design decision.   Providing these modifications for an unbuilt kit isn't really something I'm adequately equipped to do. 

If you'd like to chat more about the options, my e-mail is pb(at)bottlehead(dot)com.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline EagleWings

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 01:26:31 AM
Thanks Paul. That makes sense. One of the objectives for building this kit is, to learn the best practices of point-to-point wiring. Else I would have taken you up on your offer to get it built to take 45 and Sowter OPTs. For now, I will just go ahead with the stock kit and will revisit the possibility of rolling in the Sowters in the future.

Cheers,
Vishnu