Hum Question

blackharp · 2291

Offline blackharp

on: May 21, 2023, 05:16:44 AM
Adjusting hum balance, I am only able to get it down to about 7.4 mV. Normal or a little high? Would the DC supply change the sound and in what ways?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 05:19:20 AM
I would be sure that the 22 ohm and 0.51 ohm resistors are well soldered.  The DC filament upgrade will knock that down to below 1mV.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline blackharp

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 05:22:26 AM
Thank you, sir. I have read the DC supply can change the sound and make it "less transparent." Is there some truth to this, or is it a myth? Does it add or subtract anything? I love the sound as is... It could possibly use a little lower mid range but I'm comparing to a II, and it is more forward and has better separation.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 05:26:11 AM
Adding the DC filament supply will remove hum sidebands that shouldn't otherwise be there, so there is a loss of something I consider to be undesirable. 

There used to be a lot more AC filament purists for SET amps, but that herd seems to be thinning out thankfully. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline blackharp

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 05:29:54 AM
Ha! I love the honesty.

Offline Larpy

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 09:01:32 AM
I have a Kaiju that I built with the AC heater supply and after a couple of weeks I installed the DC heater supply.  Maybe (maybe) I heard a difference in the amp's sonic signature, but if I did it was neither better nor worse.  Just different. 

But whatever change there might have been was swamped by the reduced noise floor.  Even if the amp sounded ever so slightly worse after changing to DC (which it didn't), it was worth it just to hear no hum from my listening chair.

Larry