Gain

elcraigo · 1089

Offline elcraigo

on: June 17, 2023, 05:31:42 AM
Hey all it's been a while. I'm thinking of getting a Moreplay. Thanks Doc and company for giving me the Bottlehead jones :)
I changed the Foreplay III to 20 dB of gain (like Foreplay I & II). I have Paramour II with a 76 for the driver is why.
I've thought about changing the Paramour back to the original driver ... but it's been a while (2018) since built a kit.

Can the Moreplay be changed to 20 dB gain (or close to it)?

I'm not sure this gain can be squeezed out or the 6V6.
I could just keep using the Foreplay III .... but I'm jonesing man. I've turned into just being a code head these days, not even audio related either.

note: I really don't need the balance or volume control. I use a passive volume with remote in front of the Foreplay III (20 db) for remote control.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads (including Moms who double as a Dad)

Thanks

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 05:46:08 AM
Hello Craig,

The #76 with a CCS load and the 249K grid leak on the following stage will have gain pretty close to mu, so you will need maybe 3-4V out of your preamp for full power, so a bit less than 1V appearing at the input of the Moreplay will get the job done.  This is no problem for pretty much any DAC out there, and an Eros/TT combo will also satisfy this requirement.  You will have the volume control up pretty high to get there, but there's no harm in that really. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man