Humnng despite transfering location of the crack

denteom · 985

Offline denteom

on: July 18, 2023, 06:26:20 AM
I completed the crack w/o speedball. Tested it for few weeks, with no problem sounding great. But after few weeks of use I started noticing a hum. did not use it for a while, I then used  two different DACs and even moved it away from speakers and wifi, tried laying the crack on the floor away from everything.  The hum persisted,  I always start from 0 volume but just at 7o' clock I start hearing the hum.  It's too loud to bear. I switched back to my solid state headphone amp, I don't hear the hum that I was hearing with the crack.  Hope it is just a minor problem

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 11:40:36 AM
What source are you using when you're experiencing this noise?  Can you describe the noise more specifically?  Generally when we refer to hum, that's a 60Hz tone.  If you listen to a 60Hz tone, is that what you're hearing through your Crack?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denteom

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 03:47:12 AM
Sounds more like a 70 hz. Even without a source just turning it on it has that sound

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 04:12:09 AM
Can you post some build photos?

Hum with the volume knob up and noting connected is not a sign of problems, but 60-70Hz hum with a source connected is certainly something to look into.  I would also double check that what you're hearing isn't 120Hz buzz.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denteom

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 08:20:49 AM
I think I found the problem, I used a different RCA cable and had it route from the DAC away from the other cables ( ran it through the front and not at the back with other RCA and power cables).
Sounding good again. Wires bunch up together  has really big effect to the signal.