WE 275A running in the BeePre..

Ivan303 · 3316

Offline Ivan303

on: August 14, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
How does it sound?

Better than the EH for sure but likely on the par with other REALLY expensive 300B/300B equivalents I've tried (WE and EML).

Still...

Most detailed preamp I've ever had in my system.

But then I'm pretty used to typical 6SN7 gain, 6SN7 or equivalent cathode follower output type preamps.

Lite Audio Kit and deHavilland UltraVerve are my two prior preamps and those with NOS 6SN7s of just about every variety, TungSol Black Glass Round Plate, Sylvania big boys, bad boys, tall boys, RCA, you name it I got it.

They all sound a bit 'mellow' in comparison.  You know you are listening to TOOOOBS!

Love to find a way to mellow the BeePre out a bit while keeping that new-found detail.

So, if one likes detail, and I'm guessing accurate, this is your preamp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 05:44:48 PM
You might try some paper & oil caps...John

John Scanlon

Offline Ivan303

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 02:44:10 AM
You might try some paper & oil caps...John

Any suggestions?

Need full range as it's also driving a sub amp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 06:40:09 PM
I used to get  Russian paper and oil from a guy in Ukraine they were not expensive but I haven't looked to see what's available 

Took a quick look on eBay and they are still available, the stock cap is 10 mf, I should think 400V should be enough, 200V might be OK but check with Paul. You could probably get a couple of different types from the same vendor and save on shipping. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 07:00:06 PM by 2wo »

John Scanlon

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 12:01:21 PM
Say Ivan; Paul Birkeland built me a very pretty 2A3 amp with all the Bottlehead mods, dual power supplies, MQ Cobalt-striped outputs and Oil caps which sounded beautiful until the amp suffered damage from a cat peeing on and into it. He transferred the V-caps from that amp to a Kaiju he built, and I love those V-caps, which are used throughout my system.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene.

BH15 3.jpg.     My Eros with MQ trannies & V-caps

BH99.jpg         My 2A3 amp with MQ Cobalt-striped 2004 trannies & V-caps

« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 12:14:00 PM by Hank Murrow »