Can anyone help identify these monoblocks please?

DaveK · 2090

Offline DaveK

on: August 15, 2023, 04:13:06 PM
Hello,
Please forgive such a silly question from a first time poster.

I bought a pair of these a dozen years ago from the original builder, who helped me set them up.
They sounded fabulous but have been unused for some years through house moves etc, but now the kids are older and less likely (I hope) to damage them, I want to get them back into active service.

Can anyone here please advise me what they're called so I can dig out a manual & circuit diagram, or possibly let me know which of the speaker binding posts is the +ve one?

I also have a pair of unbuilt Paramount kits which I bought in 2013 and have never found the time to build, so also hoping to get those done before the end of the year :)

Thank you for reading!
Dave Kell
Tokyo
Japan

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 05:59:50 PM
That's a Paraglow of some sort. There were several variations; a photo of the underside plus any identifying marks on the transformers will help identify exactly what you have.

I have some draft write-ups of these old designs and recommended adjustments, and PB has experience refurbishing/modifying them. We can help you get them running again.

Paul Joppa

Offline DaveK

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 09:48:37 PM
Hello Paul - thank you very much for the reply!
Paraglow - yes - I (kind of) remember now.
Both blocks were working fine prior to being packed up so hopefully are still OK.
As suggested, here are a couple of pics showing the underside and details of the transformer.
Thank you again!
Dave.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 02:14:34 PM
Yes, that's a classic Paraglow, with a motor-run parafeed cap replacing the stock one. I don't see any other mods or complications.

Paul Joppa

Offline DaveK

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 03:02:16 PM
Thank you Paul.
With that confirmed, established that the +ve post is is the one in the corner of the chassis - or should be.
I wired and fired it up.
Some low hums while the tubes warmed up for 15 seconds or so, then super quiet and working perfectly so far as I can tell.
Much obliged for the help!