ODAM capacitor installation question

sl-15 · 2428

Offline sl-15

on: October 16, 2023, 12:00:24 PM
I am about to install ODAM capacitors into my BeePre2 and wanted to get some tips from members who have done the same. I am replacing the two 10μF 250V caps that are in the output path. First question, which terminals have the lower impedance path to ground? 20/10 or 16/6?
Will the caps be safe/secure enough to hang on their leads or should they be secured to the top plate?
Is it okay to install them the way they are or is it better to insulate them because the body is conductive.
Thanks for any feedback. Best, Stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 12:09:44 PM
Are you replacing the 10uF caps prior to the attenuator, or the ones added in the second upgrade?  Typically you'd want to do all four (the caps on the XLR outputs aren't nearly as critical, and I actually use electrolytics there in my personal builds).

On an ODAM, the short lead should be connected to the terminal with the DC voltage present, and the long lead to the terminal that reads 0V (according to the V-H audio website at least). 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 01:04:04 PM
I do have both upgrades for the BeePre2 but have not installed them yet. For now I just want to add the ODAM prior to the attenuator. I was looking on the V-H audio website too and did not see the voltage reference. The install instructions I was looking at talk about installing the short lead (which is the outer foil) to the lowest impedance path to ground. Guessing that is the same as what you say about the DC voltage?

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 01:23:08 PM
V-H specs that the outer foil should face the plate of the preceding stage, which will have high voltage on it, and the other side will be at 0V.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 02:11:17 PM
On an ODAM, the short lead should be connected to the terminal with the DC voltage present, and the long lead to the terminal that reads 0V (according to the V-H audio website at least).

I had recently installed these caps on my Mainline.. Does a similar consideration apply? hope i didn't mess it up. I just installed in no particular order when it comes to pointing the leads...

Atul

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 02:26:16 PM
I just installed in no particular order when it comes to pointing the leads...
IMO this is a valid approach, as is installing them in such a way that the text looks better when you flip the amp over.  The inner vs. outer foil issues don't tend to crop up in our equipment.

Paul "PB" Birkeland