Fully functional on first try!

Mark_Kirollos · 1098

Offline Mark_Kirollos

on: October 30, 2023, 09:06:07 AM
I was fully expecting to have to troubleshoot, but all my resistance and voltage checks were perfect at the end, and everything sounds great! Moreplay is my first tube device, so I'm thrilled to explore my music library all over again.

I've got low impedance planars headphones, so I decided to go with a tube pre-amp instead of a full amp. That way my solid state amp can handle the high impedance output without having to worry about frequency roll off, but I can still get some of the tube sound to pass through. And so far, I'm loving the flavor it adds to classic rock and grunge. Alice in Chains has never sounded this good on my headphones! It definitely makes the the guitar riffs smoother and richer.

Right now I've got it set up where I can flip a switch on my Amp to switch between sound direct from the DAC or through the Moreplay (volume matched). This makes it easy to turn off for the songs where I want that crisper detail.

But honestly, I'm totally blown away how clean this sounds! I was expecting it to make my music less detailed or significantly distorted, but everything is so transparent. It's hard to believe that the handful of resistors, capacitors, and diodes I soldered together can keep up with the rest of my system.

Offline Rockyhill

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 04:45:06 PM
Congratulations! I’m hoping for the same result soon. My painted chassis plate and varnished base are now dry and awaiting assembly. I snapped in the IEC power inlet and power switch to celebrate earlier today. Looking forward to the rest of the assembly.

Rob M

Offline AllenS

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 01:16:56 AM
Always great when that happens! Enjoy 😊

Offline AG

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 04:45:21 AM
Congratulation.

Following all the steps checking twice and soldering once, there is no room for mistakes.
the instructions are so well documented with a check box at every step to track the completion.

Cheers from Fla.
Andre.

“Without music life would be a mistake”

Offline Cary

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 05:47:38 AM
Congrats on the build!!!

Offline timindq

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 03:03:29 AM
Great job! A thrill, and a bit of a surprise when things go together just right.

Source: Lumin D2 with SBooster power supply, 2tb SSD attached to Lumin, Pre: Moreplay, Amp: Bryston 2bSST, Speakers: Joseph Audio RM22XL. Setup in large, well treated dedicated listening space.

Offline Mark_Kirollos

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 12:25:26 PM
Stained a dark brown and found a home at the back of my desk. I've just got to clean up the cableing a bit. I think I'll build a wooden rack after I build a speaker amp so I can put my stack on on display and clear up some space.