Consonance Basie questions

Heavysound · 717

Offline Heavysound

on: November 12, 2023, 07:44:19 AM
Please forgive my ignorance. I'm not a hi-fi guy. Possibly not even mid-fi. While I have experimented with everything from tube to solid state over the years, I currently enjoy listening to my records on a receiver from the 90's because it has a remote and sounds good (to my ears).

Anyway.. I have this old Consonance Basie pre-amp that's been in storage forever. I got it in a bulk deal many years ago and never bothered to fully test it until now. Some internet searches led me here as I understand this preamp to be sort of a Bottlehead offshoot. So my understanding is that this is a pre-amp without a phono stage input (bummer). Great so I figured I'd test it with a line signal from my CD player. But then I realized the Consonance had no obvious speaker connections or headphone jack.

So I'm kinda just confused how/where a person would implement this in their setup. Am I just missing an amp to in line go after the Consonance and the amp should have the speaker hookups? And the RCA out's on the Consonance go to the inputs of the amp? And then for hooking up a turntable I would still need a phono-pre to go before the Consonance but will still need the Amp also because phoho-pre's don't typically have the speaker hookups? is this correct?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 07:50:08 AM
This is a linestage from a competitor's product line.  Their webpage can be found here:
https://diyhifisupply.com/

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Heavysound

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 09:59:14 AM
Gotcha. Thanks!

Offline dth31

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 07:41:23 AM
It is ONLY a preamp and NOT an integrated (preamp + power amp in one box). You need to hook it up with RCA cables to a power amp.