Eros 2 Difficulty??

Emoreigns · 649

Offline Emoreigns

on: November 14, 2023, 06:18:03 AM
Howdy everyone-

New around here ( First Post)- I'm nearing completion of my first crack build, and I have been having such a good time soldering and building the kit. As far as the next Bottlehead amp to build I was wondering how difficult is the Eros 2 to make/solder? It looks like a good amount of PCB soldering- Any advise would be helpful; and how would the Eros 2 compare in difficulty to make it in comparison to the BeePree 2 or Kaju 300B?

I've kind of decided I'm going to make them all, I just would like to know the best route to attack it :)

Thanks for the help guys!

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 07:01:11 AM
The BeePre 2 is probably the easiest of the kits you want to tackle, then the Kaiju, then the Eros 2.

We revised the Eros 2 to simplify the build rather substantially, but it still requires pretty competent PCB soldering skills and it's the toughest kit to debug, so I might be tempted to leave that one for last!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 07:50:22 AM
Thanks for the advise Paul- I'll attack them in that order then!

Cheers-

~Happy Listening

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 09:50:28 AM

Lee R.

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 01:24:28 PM
Really appreciate that Thermioniclife-

I'll buy a couple of these and practice on them before I give it a go on my Speedball PCB-

If I can solder up the Speedball upgrade correctly is it reasonable to assume I'll be able to progress to the "bigger" and more advanced bottlehead kits after?

Thanks for all the help guys-

~Happy Listening

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 01:31:13 PM
I would think so sir.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 01:49:46 PM
Yes, the Speedball is definitely a good test. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hmbscott

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 07:16:03 PM
I built the Crack, then the Speed Ball, then the Eros 2, in that order. I am not new to soldering nor PCB's and I actually find PCB soldering easier. The primary challenge with the Eros II is that it has a lot more solder joints than the Crack, so you really need to be methodical. By my calculations, the Eros II has 174 solder steps vs 108 for the Crack. They aren't more difficult, just more of them. I had more difficulty with the Crack than the Eros mostly because I had learned the Bottlehead Way on the Crack. ;)

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]