The right angle plug

mad goalie · 346

Offline mad goalie

on: March 13, 2024, 06:10:12 AM
After assembling and starting to use the power cord kit, I became a bit concerned that the somewhat rigid length of the heat shrink extending a few inches beyond the base was at risk of being knocked around (likely by my clumsy self). It also looked like the weight of the cord could be pulling on the plug, gaining leverage from that length of heat shrink. Granted, scores of these have been made and used without (at least publicized) issue so it's quite possible that my second concern at least isn't merited. Still, I couldn't help myself and after some searching around found a properly oriented C13/C14 right angle adapter (pictured).

Aesthetically and positionally it works as I intended, thereby satisfying my OCD urges. But I do have a question. Does the adapter compromise the effectiveness of the cord to any degree? The sound seems to be just as good (at least on my initial listen) but I am curious as to whether anyone has some input.

Thanks.

Jimmie (Mad Goalie)

Jimmie
Ever trying to confirm that you can never have too many toys.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 08:19:11 AM
Interesting. I never though about this and never heard of such an adapter. As long as it makes good contact and is made out of decent metal it should probably be fine. And I bet you are the first person to do this, so it's your opinion that carries the most weight for now.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 03:19:33 AM
I use these (although likely a different brand from the look) on several BH and other audio and video components for the same reasons. I even have 2 different configurations daisy-chained in a particularly tight location and haven't noticed a sonic penalty. Admittedly, I haven't pulled the trigger on a BH cord to know if there is a difference in your exact situation.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline mad goalie

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 07:45:01 AM
Thanks for the info/confirmation, Doc and Karl. We'll see how it goes over time.

Karl, if I may ask, where do you get your adapters? For the sake of convenience, I found the one I'm using on Amazon - which makes me question the overall quality (to Doc's point). Also, nice bike - is that a Bonneville?

j

Jimmie
Ever trying to confirm that you can never have too many toys.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 08:44:41 AM
j.-
I too found mine on Amazon, purchasing several of the different R/L configurations.
Thanks, yes it is an air-cooled 2012 T100 - Sort of like the BH kits - old-school vibe with some modern engineering.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77