Issues with SEX initial tests [resolved]

nmatlin · 269

Offline nmatlin

on: January 05, 2024, 03:37:20 AM
Hi all,

I just completed my S.E.X. build--it was a lot of fun. During my initial resistance checks, everything checked out except for two: I came up with 34 and 35 reading zero instead of varying. At that point, those were the only resistance issues. I examined the joints and found that there was a continuity issue with the jumper from 11 on the power transformer that links to 34 and 35. So I cut out the old one and made a new one (using the upper points rather than the lower ones, just because it's rather crowded there). Upon doing that, I got the expected varying resistance on 34 and 35. But now, strangely, 33 is registering 0 and the resistances that are usually varying -- nodes 2, 6, 7, and 16, for instance, are at 0 when I do resistance checks.

I've build multiple tube guitar amps in the past--so I'm not a complete neophyte. But this is messing with me (though, I could just be tired).

Any suggestions on what to look at? I must have bumped something or confused myself.

Thank you!

Nick
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 03:03:36 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 06:42:18 PM
I would definitely post some build photos and we can have a look. 

I would definitely not turn the amp on if you are seeing 0 ohms at terminal 33.  I'd be looking closely for debris in the amp resting against the chassis plate and a terminal strip.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline nmatlin

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 11:13:19 AM
Shook it out, checked through everything… passed resistance tests. Fired up and checked voltages… all good. Sounds awesome! Thanks… must have had a meter issue or some debris. Many thanks for the support!