Speedball help LED out

emundin · 204

Offline emundin

on: January 14, 2024, 03:31:59 AM
Hi all,

So, after 5 years ive taken the crack with speedball out of storage, I got put away after a fault developed and I wanst able to resolve. the crack and speedball builds went well off the bat but then a fault developed and it was all crackles and poor signal. the LED in the photo was out speedball board right hand side. Some of the numbers have rubbed off so unable to do full voltage checks but I think what is terminal 2 is a problem as it reads zero at the base terminal and +/- 20 at top terminal, this is the same as what i think is terminal 4!

I have reflowed everything and im ready to put it away for another 5 years!!

Any advice on next steps greatly appreciated.

Bw
Emmett

Any advice on next steps truly apprecated as im read

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 05:57:30 AM
It would be most helpful if you could post the DC voltages on the terminals with wires on them of the PC boards.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Deluk

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 06:38:56 AM
The LED's can apparently fail if they get damp. I'm not saying that you stored it badly but perhaps just a cold room rather than a damp basement. I think I would have replacements for them all handy while you do your trouble shooting. You might need just one but if has failed since it was last on I'd change all of them. Hope it's an easy fix. PB should be able to guide you through it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 07:04:41 AM
The LED's can apparently fail if they get damp.
The LEDs can absorb moisture, yes.  You then have to get them hot with a soldering iron to damage them.  If you take a soldered board and run it through a dishwasher cycle, the LEDs will still function properly. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline emundin

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 02:46:45 AM
Thanks all, to note the LED being out and fault + my inability to fix it is what caused me to put it away so it's not related to the storage.

I will do this " DC voltages on the terminals with wires on them of the PC boards."

Many thanks
Emmett