First crack build completed!

mzeman · 209

Offline mzeman

on: January 23, 2024, 05:20:33 AM
Just completed my first crack build, and I wanted to say thank you for all the great resources on this forum!  I had never soldered anything or done any electrical work, and the build came out perfect on the first try.  The instructions were so clear!  I was damn impressed when it passed all the tests and actually turned on.  I will be using it for a strictly vinyl setup with a pair of Sennheiser HD600s.  Here is a photo of the completed build!

Offline Cary

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 05:26:01 AM
Congrats, great build!

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 06:12:16 AM
Looks fantastic, and I really love the color of the wood.

Ross

Offline mzeman

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 06:23:53 AM
Thanks!  It was just pure tung oil.  Really easy to apply, and a great color for contrasting the paint.

Offline Mucker

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 07:48:04 AM
Great job, looks really cool. I've tried using cutting edge SS headphone amps with vinyl but nothing has sounded better than a Crack / Speedball. I hate to say it but I even prefer it over my S.E.X. 3.0 amplifier with vinyl. I use Beyer DT-1990 Pro phones with velour pads and the audio I get out of this combo is just perfect for me. The S3X shows it's strength with planar magnetics and digital feed. It really is a different horses for different courses thing. My guess is your setup will be in your possession a very long time. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 04:44:12 PM by Mucker »

Offline hmbscott

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 03:26:44 PM
Very nice. I love the wood chassis color combo!

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]