Excessive hum

ericoto · 261

Offline ericoto

on: January 28, 2024, 11:41:31 AM
I have a crack with speedball update that I purchased approximately 8 years ago. I recall I had some issues with it and had to send it back for repairs. Anyway, I hadn't used it for some time and I turned it on recently and there was excessive hum. I can't find the manual. I've looked at all the connections. They all look fine, particularly the ground connections. I have also heated up several of the connections to see if that would help. Anyone have any thoughts? The hum seems to be in both channels it is not affected by the volume. I have tried different power sources, also different input sources and moved it away from any other electric equipment

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 12:21:52 PM
Could be a bad connection. You might also try pulling and replugging the tubes to clean the pins a bit. It's probably worthwhile to perform the resistance and voltage checks in the assembly manual as well. Also a slight chance it could be from not having been powered up for many years. You might just let it run for a few hours with no headphones plugged in and see if the hum goes away as the power supply filter caps reform.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ericoto

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 12:39:18 PM
Thank you for responding so quickly. I'll clean the pins and let it run for a few hours. I did think about the electrolytics might be an issue. Thanks

Offline ericoto

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 01:35:51 PM
Cleaning tube pins took care of it Thanks again