Line stage gain

Happy Ghost · 250

Offline Happy Ghost

on: February 04, 2024, 08:16:05 AM
Hello,

Can someone recommend a good kit / product for line stage gain. A bit of background.. My DAC puts out 2V and so when I am listening to music (on either C2A/Mainline) then my volume setting hovers around the -9dB setting with the minor control set to even above -3. I am a bit uncomfortable with the volume set so high. Even though the listening level is comfortable, I am afraid that I might damaging my ears :(

So I was thinking that maybe boosting my DAC output to 3V or higher might help a lot. Any ideas or suggestions on how to go about it? I do have a Moreplay lying around. But I don't want my sound to be colored (more tubey that is) for headphone listening.. I am looking for something transparent to fit in between the DAC and the headphone amp.. a wire with a gain kinda thing...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 08:33:25 AM by Happy Ghost »

Atul

Offline Mucker

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 11:41:23 AM
There are DAC's capable of >2V output. My Topping E70V can be configured for 2.5V RCA output (5V XLR out). If you are limited to 2V output, a buffer can help. I hear this is a good option but haven't messed with one.

https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-buffer

I use a Moreplay in between my sources and a Stereomour II and it does not color the sound at all and sounds fabulous. Stereomour has a MourQuiet in it with both postions at max (0dB) and the Moreplay volume control is used. Maybe give it a shot, you may be surprised.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 12:34:04 PM by Mucker »

Offline Deluk

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 01:51:52 PM
2V is the norm for CD players. If you have one how does it work in your system?

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 02:13:00 PM
I use a Moreplay in between my sources and a Stereomour II and it does not color the sound at all and sounds fabulous. S

So I did use the Moreplay earlier.. but for *headphone* listening, it kinda changed the sound. Made it a bit more tubey than what I might've liked. But you're right.. it does sound very well when feeding to S3X or Stereoamour..

Atul

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 02:14:16 PM
2V is the norm for CD players. If you have one how does it work in your system?

So I use a cheapo CD transport which feeds to my ANK DAC.. which outputs only 2V

Atul

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 02:38:45 PM
Even though the listening level is comfortable, I am afraid that I might damaging my ears :(

So I was thinking that maybe boosting my DAC output to 3V or higher might help a lot.
How would that help?  If you boost the level of your DAC and turn down the Mainline a little bit, you're still at the same listening level... 

Depending on the source and headphones, being at that attenuator position is totally normal and there's still plenty of headroom left on the dial.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man