Audio no longer outputting from the left channel [Resolved]

MIKOLINO · 140

Offline MIKOLINO

Hi,

I was getting up from my chair and removing my headset at the same time when I got a hard static hit on my left hand/earcup.

After that incident, audio stopped playing out of the left side. Since I am very inexperienced with this, I need your help.

What I've tried:

- Interchanged my headset's 2-pin connectors to the other earcup, audio was only playing on the right when I did that.

- Interchanged RCA cables to the other channel, audio only played on the left side after that.

- Changed both tubes and the results were the same.

- Connected my DAC to a pair of loudspeakers and both channels were playing audio.

With that troubleshooting, I am sure it is something in the wiring of my crack, perhaps something shorted but I am not sure how to approach this and what to look for and how to determine if that's the issue.

Note: I do have the speedball upgrade installed.

I would greatly appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:22:08 PM by MIKOLINO »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 02:17:15 PM
I would start with the voltage checks.  I would also look very, very carefully where the black wires meet on the headphone jack.  It's incredibly common to see one of those black wires not captured by solder, and that can cause problems like you're describing.

You'll also want to post the DC resistance between tip and sleeve as well as ring and sleeve measuring directly on your headphone plug with your headphones unplugged from the amp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MIKOLINO

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 02:25:53 PM
Thanks for your quick response.
I appreciate it a lot.

I have tested resistances on my own and wasn't able to distinguished anything off.
I had other spare tubes that I decided to try anyways and somehow after that it started working again.

I still have no idea if it really was the tubes or just a temporary issue but it seems resolved for now.
Thanks again and have a rest of your night.