Issues after volume mod

loadexfa · 696

Offline loadexfa

on: May 13, 2024, 08:59:15 PM
Here was my first attempt where I didn't understand where I was supposed to use the 33k resistors: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=15365.0

On my second attempt I used two 33K resistors. When I first tested, there was no sound in the right channel and the left channel would play music even when the pot was all the way down. I made sure this was the Crack by swapping the rca cables (still no sound in right) and testing the headphones with the same cable on another amp.

I went back and redid a couple of the solder joints to ensure everything was done correctly. When I tested after the attempted repair, there is still no sound in the right channel. Now there is a loud buzz in the left channel and the volume is very loud in the left channel when the pot is at the lowest setting.

Is it possible I damaged the pot? I triple checked the wiring and nothing should be loose or anything.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 04:48:13 AM
Could I see a complete overhead shot of your build?  There are some wires in your photo that don't seem like they should be there, but I can see where they are coming from or where they are going. 

It is completely possible that the issue you're experiencing is related to something else going on in the build.  How are your DC voltages?  Are they still correct?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man