Shushing Sound from preamp

rockpassion · 1856

Offline rockpassion

on: May 16, 2024, 03:13:36 PM
I have an on and off again shushing sound which comes and goes.  It does not appear to be volume related.  Also, it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to begin.  I  thought it had to do with 300b sockets so i cleaned them with deoxit and the shushing sound goes away for awhile.  However, when I manually wiggle the tubes the shushing (sounds like tube rush) does not increase or  decrease.  This also only happens  when I listen to LP's.  I have switched IC"s around but it does not stop or alter the noise.  I cannot hear it when the music is playing.

Any thoughts on how i might isolate this to figure out what is causing this.? 

Thanks

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 10:13:24 AM
Perhaps I misunderstand this, but if it only happens when listening to LPs it seems most likely that the issue is coming from somewhere in the turntable/phono stage part of the signal chain, ahead of the BeePre.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 04:52:34 AM
i cleaned them with deoxit
I would replace the sockets immediately and definitely do not do that again. 

This also only happens  when I listen to LP's
This would indicate that the issue is happening before the BeePre.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man