DAC For Tube System

Moodyhh · 773

Offline Moodyhh

on: June 04, 2024, 12:47:56 PM
Hello All,

I am looking for a DIY DAC so that I can listen to my CD collection (and some .wav files).  I think that I would like something with a tube output section to go along with the rest of my 100% tube system, but maybe that would be too much smoothness?
I’d like this DAC to be  relatively high-end as I’d like it to provide the spaciousness, depth, smoothness and definition of vinyl.  Does anyone have any recommendations?
I’m currently looking at products from iancanada.com, which have been showcased in the Gabster YouTube channel.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 05:13:25 PM
I use the ANK DAC 2.1 and love it. The build process wasn't as smooth as with bottlehead, but the result is excellent. DM me if you'd like more details.

Colin. Insta @act4audio
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > {SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & {diy kegger design kt88 SET} > Magnepan .7

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 09:32:05 AM
The ANK line of DAC's do indeed sound very nice. However it should be noted that there is a 24bit 96Khz limitation. If you have any high resolution digital files in your collection with higher sampling and data widths they won't be decoded with the ANK.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 09:50:09 AM
I also have an ANK 2.1 and it sounds great. The problem with ANK is receiving incomplete kits and you are at the mercy of the owner, I've never said this publicly before but his reputation precedes him. This makes me not confident in the future for replacement parts/ boards/chips/ETC. Having said that I like the DAC.

Lee R.

Offline Moodyhh

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 01:13:00 PM
Thanks Everyone for your  input!

I had never heard of ANK before.
I’ll check them out.

Has anyone had experience with the iancanada.com
products?

Thanks.

Offline Moodyhh

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 01:15:19 PM
I also have an ANK 2.1 and it sounds great. The problem with ANK is receiving incomplete kits and you are at the mercy of the owner, I've never said this publicly before but his reputation precedes him. This makes me not confident in the future for replacement parts/ boards/chips/ETC. Having said that I like the DAC.

Thermioniiclife, when did you last deal with ANK?

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 01:33:55 PM
2020 perhaps 2019.

Lee R.

Offline Moodyhh

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 10:20:09 AM
Hello All,

The ANK 2.1 looks good, but I’m still getting used to the $1700.00 entry fee.  I guess that’s what needs to be spent to get “vinyl” sound….  Does anyone have any experience with the IanCanada.com products?  Perhaps any good reviews?

Thanks All.

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 11:18:28 AM
The ANK 2.1 looks good, but I’m still getting used to the $1700.00 entry fee.  I guess that’s what needs to be spent to get “vinyl” sound….

Sometimes there are deals offered. 15-20% off.. I got mine like that.. Still loving the product.. Never regretted it even once ...  the manual and shipping might not be top notch sometimes, but the thing works well once you overcome some initial hiccups..

Atul

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 08:48:04 AM
How much more difficult are these kits to make than the bottlehead? I would be interested in buying and making one- My soldering skills are good, but I am not good at reading electrical diagrams unfortunately....

~Happy Listening

Offline ccmccull

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 08:51:00 AM
About the same, but it's mostly PCB work. So I'd get a cheap practice kit if you haven't done that before.

Colin. Insta @act4audio
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > {SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & {diy kegger design kt88 SET} > Magnepan .7

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 10:32:42 AM
I've done PCB boards on the speedball, and the Beepre-

I almost enjoy soldering those more- Well that's good to know. I always wondered if people did DIY DACs as well!

Super glad to find out they do!

~Happy Listening