Pipette and tube amp

reglys · 759

Offline reglys

on: June 08, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
Hi

Your new pipette speaker kit looks so nice. I am thinking about it instead of Klipsch RP-600M.

However it seems that tube amps always need high sensitivity speaker with at least 92 dB. According to your spec, the Pipette has 85 dB. It seems to be very low. Any comments?

I was wondering if a Stereomour ( first generation) with tubes 45 is OK to drive the Pipette. You are also saying that those speakers are a good match for the S.E.X. tube amp which is 2 watts amp.

The maximum power is limited to 5 W. I do not mind but it seems very low to the actual standard. Can we use those speakers without subwoofer.?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2024, 07:45:57 AM
This is all about listening preferences.  Note that I am careful to say that the Pipettes are intended for use in typical living room/desktop/nearfield/non-critical listening environments. For example, I use a pair with a StereomourII amp (about 4 watts) in my 15'x20'x11' studio office. It is a great setup for listening while working. With 4 watts per channel we are looking at maybe 91dB peaks. Average listening levels are typically in the 82dB range so there is some headroom. Without a subwoofer the speakers start to roll off around 70Hz. So there is still reasonable output maybe half an octave lower than that, say around 55Hz. A subwoofer is a nice addition but not an absolute necessity.

Now if I need to impress audiophiles with excess, maybe play some techno so I can feel it in my gut, or play that killer Nojima Plays Liszt album we reissued on tape at live performance levels - I will switch to my 95dB speakers and 35W amps. Then we can hit clean 110dB peaks. I can only crank that puppy to the max once in a while and not for too long. My ears will be ringing afterwards and anyone else around will ask me to turn the damned music down. Luckily the neighbors are almost never in their office or they would certainly come over and complain when I crank it. And of course this is a setup that costs maybe three or four times as much as the Pipette/Stereomour II setup and takes up about four times as much space.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline reglys

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 06:06:19 AM
Thank you Doc for your explanation. I understand that the speaker sensitivity is not so important if you do not need a lot of dB for listening to music from a low power tube amp.

I am surprised that this speaker driver has a maximum output of 5 W. Does it mean the Pipette speakers are a lot better than average speaker at low volume?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 06:33:09 AM
They do work very well at low volume. The small metal cone is very quick and top end response is very smooth.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.