Sl-1200 mk2 opinions

aragorn723 · 1733

Offline aragorn723

on: June 18, 2024, 02:33:55 PM
So I have been looking for a turntable for a while that has VTF and VTA adjustment to run a high-end cartridge.  Found this SL-1200  mk2, and the price is definitely good.  Not loving the platter condition with the scratches/nicks on it, but that shouldn't affect playback, right?  It should have a mat on it.  The video shows the platter spinning, assuming I should check if it puts out sound too?  Would you buy this turntable, or look somewhere else?  It's about an hour away, so I figured it would be good to ask first rather than just go down there (got a family so time is valuable)..  thanks in advance.

https://www.facebook.com/share/mC6xifmEfnfrGFMW/?mibextid=kL3p88
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:41:22 PM by aragorn723 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 03:00:20 PM
The SL-1200 is a good table that isn't super finicky.  It's made to be hauled around and abused, and there's nearly infinite information online about how to do every possible little thing to it, so it could certainly be a good choice on those merits alone.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 05:34:12 PM
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply!  Looks like this unit is gone already, it says pending on the Facebook page.  Guess it wasn't meant to be, but at least I'll be ready the next time one comes up!

Cheers!

Offline Mucker

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 08:07:53 PM
Keep your eye peeled for SL-1200 (silver) or SL-1210 (black) and the following variants:

MK II
M3D
MK5
M5G

They are the older great Technics tables and built very similarly.

If you can find one for cheap they can be upgraded quite nicely into a premium table. If you goto KABUSA.com he has many items to make these tables sing, and for not too much out of pocket.

I have done a few of these tables and the big must have upgrades IMO are:

1. Spindle thrust bearing and wax
2. Tonearm rewire kit.
3. KAB Dampner

Performance on the cheap IMO. Good luck!

Offline sl-15

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 03:31:10 AM
I have had 2 1200 MK2 for over 20 years now. The drive system is very solid and typically holds up forever. The one thing to look out for when buying them used is the tonearm. The bearings develop play over time. They can be re-adjusted but you need to know what you are doing. The RCA cables fail too over time but it all depends how the deck was taken care for. All in all it is a great turntable that is easily worked on, with tons of tutorials on youtube and other places. Some replacement parts have become obsolete but places like KAB USA as mentioned above still sell parts and generally he knows what is available or not.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline aragorn723

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 02:58:08 PM
Keep your eye peeled for SL-1200 (silver) or SL-1210 (black) and the following variants:

MK II
M3D
MK5
M5G

They are the older great Technics tables and built very similarly.

If you can find one for cheap they can be upgraded quite nicely into a premium table. If you goto KABUSA.com he has many items to make these tables sing, and for not too much out of pocket.

I have done a few of these tables and the big must have upgrades IMO are:

1. Spindle thrust bearing and wax
2. Tonearm rewire kit.
3. KAB Dampner

Performance on the cheap IMO. Good luck!

Thanks, gonna add these TT's to my list, hopefully one will pop up locally soon!  Looks like Guitar center has some at times too, seems like that would be a good place to get one (pretty sure they have a 45 day return policy).

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 03:01:44 PM
I have had 2 1200 MK2 for over 20 years now. The drive system is very solid and typically holds up forever. The one thing to look out for when buying them used is the tonearm. The bearings develop play over time. They can be re-adjusted but you need to know what you are doing. The RCA cables fail too over time but it all depends how the deck was taken care for. All in all it is a great turntable that is easily worked on, with tons of tutorials on youtube and other places. Some replacement parts have become obsolete but places like KAB USA as mentioned above still sell parts and generally he knows what is available or not.

Gonna see if I can get one that has a known service history maybe, is there a specific direction where the tonearm tends to develop play?  (it moves vertically, but also horizontally on an arc).  Seems like there is some risk going down this route as far as parts obsolescence, but if the TT is in good condition and has been serviced recently (and the price is right) it might be worth a gamble.

Dave

Offline Mucker

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 09:56:28 AM
That's the beauty thing about these tables. Ultra easy servicing. Unless you are going to DJ with it then it might need some calibration. If it's just for spinning vinyl for HiFi .... piece of cake.

The only thing that should be absolutely checked is the spindle thrust bearing. Not only checked however, but just replace it and be done. Replacing it with the KAB Derlin plate is affordable and will last MANY years.

Then it's just a few drops of oil into the spindle every 6 months. That's it! Direct drive FTW!

Tonearm assemblies can still be purchased, I wouldn't mess with bearings ... just get a new arm and treat it nicely ;) :

https://1200s.com/products/1500c-silver-or-black-tone-arm-tonearm-assembly-fits-mk2-m3d-mk3d-mk5-mk6

My tables have been a joy to use, reliable and simple and awesome performers.

Panasonic still has some but not all parts: https://panasonic.encompass.com/model/MSCSL1200MK2
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 09:59:19 AM by Mucker »

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 04:16:13 PM
How do you check the thrust plate?  Looks like they are pretty inexpensive.

Offline Mucker

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 05:32:19 PM
If you want to get intimate with a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 (or variant) table, the 2 vids below are indispensable. If you get through them you will be a master in no time. You don't have to do a complete disassembly for the thrust plate and it can all be done from the top with the table on it's feet the whole time. Look at vid from 1:00 to 2:00 mark. He does take the spindle out quickly.

Obviously if you build a Bottlehead product, you are a tinkerer. Getting to the thrust plate requires the spindle to be removed. Those vids show how to do it. For me it was interesting and fun to do and allows one to gain knowledge of how these tables work and how well designed they are. If you get to the point of actually changing one out and need help just holler. All of it is pretty easy when just taking your time.

I once bought an SL-1210M5G from a DJ and it was in really decent shape but the stock thrust plate had a big dent in it. Apparently from a hard strike down on top of the spindle.Must been a helluva party that night. But the KAB repair restored it to new. It's also a great time to take the spindle apart and clean it good. Easy to figure it out.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 05:51:29 PM by Mucker »

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 02:03:03 PM
Great stuff!

Offline Mucker

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 12:42:06 PM
Found the old photo of the thrust plate I mentioned earlier. The top is the damaged one, the bottom is a very low hour like new one. The KAB one is very much better. It just attaches with 2 bolts, easy swap.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 12:44:31 PM by Mucker »