Intermittent hum from right channel [resolved]

DitchTrilogy · 1047

Offline DitchTrilogy

on: June 20, 2024, 01:55:51 PM
Hi All,

My Crack has intermittent hum only from the right channel.  Most of the time the hum is low/negligible but then it sometimes oscillates and can become quite loud and almost metallic sounding. The hum is independent of the volume position and occurs with and without a source connected.

I've done the following to try solve the issue: checked joints and reflowed solder, done a chopstick test (no strange sounds from this), plugged the Crack into other power sockets that are away from other electrical signals.  Voltage and resistance are per the instructions or within tolerance - I can provide the measurements if useful.

Not sure what to do and thought I should seek some help.  Would be grateful for any ideas to solve the issue.  It was my first time doing anything like this and I plan to add the Speedball once this is sorted.  Really enjoyed the process building it and listening to it.

I've attached some pictures.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 12:43:06 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 05:49:05 PM
Possible points to try a reflow would be where the black wires connect to the volume pot terminals and the ends of the brown resistors on the headphone jack terminals that are connected to the black wire. Might try different tubes too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DitchTrilogy

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 10:24:38 AM
Thanks for those suggestions Doc. I'll give them a try and report back.

Offline DitchTrilogy

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 06:41:57 AM
Turns out it was a bad 6080 tube that was causing the issue.  Sounds much better now.  Thanks for the help!