Component sources for tube projects?

Tuco · 1169

Offline Tuco

on: June 24, 2024, 08:50:16 AM
Is there a forum thread that lists the better component sources for tube projects?  If so could you direct me to that thread?  I’ve committed to building a couple tube buffers for DACs.  I’m just going to build grounded cathode amplifiers, but need to source all the components, and being new to building audio and tube projects, I could use a point in the right direction to the better suppliers.

Jay Decker

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2024, 09:39:25 AM
We use a pretty large number of suppliers, but for electronic components, most come from Mouser.

Definitely do not use Amazon or eBay from these parts, as there are a lot of crappy fakes floating around.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 10:55:43 AM
Roger that PB.

Lee R.

Offline Tuco

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 01:58:26 PM
… as there are a lot of crappy fakes floating around.

OK, it isn’t just me… and, that’s why I’m asking.

Jay Decker

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 02:39:24 PM
I probably should be more specific and say that I've been duped a few times, and some of those mistakes made it into kits a time or two.  There was a time period 10 or so years ago where the little 431 regulators we use just weren't available for a long stretch.  There were some available on eBay labeled WS431 that looked to be acceptable substitutes, but man were they noisy!  Likewise I grabbed up what looked like a good lot of UF4007 diodes labeled with the band name "TCI", and they don't meet spec (currently I use them for super low voltage/low current rectifiers).  I think there were even some 2N2907 or MJE350 transistors at some point that were also dodgy. 

If you're buying on eBay, you have to look for stuff that looks really old and is packed into old looking packaging (boxes or faded plastic packaging from a retailer).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man