Odd location of input/output jacks on Eros 2?

wbag · 783

Offline wbag

on: July 03, 2024, 01:47:07 PM
I'm considering getting an Eros 2, but the location of the RCA jacks seems impractical and not aesthetic to me. The photo inputs are the two jacks on the front? And the outputs are the ones on the far left and right, about 6 inches apart? Doesn't this make cable management...weird? You can't use cables where left and right are bundled together? You have to be able to split them apart, and then loop the over the top of the unit, close to the tubes, where they are at risk of touching the hot tubes? My real questions are - Why was it designed like this? Does this bother anyone else? Is anyone mitigating it by using right angle RCA adapters or something else?

Offline hmbscott

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 06:42:26 PM
I believe this layout is to minimize signal path and to keep the signals as far from the power supply circuit as possible with the goal of minimizing noise.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 06:50:24 PM
It's to keep the connection to the grid of the input tube as short as possible, and as far from the power transformer as practical, minimizing hum and noise pickup. Phono preamps have very high gain, making them sensitive to layout and lead dress.

Paul Joppa