No sound

benzxc · 2034

Offline benzxc

on: July 17, 2024, 06:51:47 AM
So my build passed the voltage test and the LED lights are all working, and all connections appear to me solid, but there is no sound to the subwoofer at all, even when I crank up the volume and crossover on the sub amp.

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 06:53:40 AM

Ben Chiou

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 08:56:41 AM
Are you using this Sublime with a Subette subwoofer? Have you tested the subwoofer with another amp to make sure it is working properly? That would probably be a good thing to verify before diving into the amp.

Also, the Sublime binding posts can be a little finicky. If you are using spade lugs on your speaker cable you might need to adjust the way they sit around the posts to make good contact with them.

The first thing to check in the amp is that all of the screw terminal connections are good. It is possible to have the wire in the hole in such a way that it isn't making good contact. You might just wiggle each connection a little bit to verify that they are all snug.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 09:01:15 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline benzxc

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 07:40:58 PM
Yes, I used the subette with a dayton plate amp with no issues. I checked all the screw terminal connections and all are solid. I might need to pull the whole thing apart and rebuild it because I can't find where the issue is. Thanks!

Ben Chiou

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 05:23:14 AM
Don't do that. A better approach is to use a little detective work. You said all the LEDs light up so it seems the circuit is working, and the wiring all looks good in the picture. So it is most likely an issue somewhere in the signal path. First try connecting the subwoofer up again and see if you hear a slight pop or tick when you turn the amp on. Let us know the result and then we will go to the next step.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2024, 09:24:56 AM
Did you get any whare with this amp?

Lee R.

Offline benzxc

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 04:26:16 AM
Thanks for the help. I've been super busy with life and have not yet followed doc's advice. Will let everyone know once I go fix it. Thanks again!

Ben Chiou