lead snip fragment

tipatina · 1923

Offline tipatina

on: August 13, 2024, 04:51:42 PM
While snipping some leads from the cap at 14U-15U, a lead fell into the space between the transformer core and outer portion. I have tried in vain to dislodge it including partly detaching the transformer. The space is too deep for any instrument I tried and the lead seems stuck to some gelatinous like material. Don't even know if I can get a picture of it. I reattached the transformer and can continue the build if this is not a safety hazard. Thanks for any advice.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 05:41:01 AM
I wouldn't expect this to present any issues.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tipatina

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 12:03:27 PM
OK, Thx. Will keep going.

Offline tipatina

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 04:38:44 PM
OK, well I finished up but had voltage check problems: 8 O.L, 22OL, White RCA center O.L,  Ground tab O.L
On inspection I found that I had somehow detached/avulsed terminal 15 of the PT10. See photo.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 07:49:48 AM
Your power transformer is damaged and needs to be replaced.  I've never seen a bobbin break like that! 

There isn't any point to checking the voltages till you swap the power transformer, but it's worth mentioning that OL may just mean that you need to go to a different range on your meter.  Were you measuring voltages or resistances?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tipatina

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 12:08:57 PM
Thanks, I was measuring resistances. I think rather than trying to get a new transformer and go out of sequence to put it into my existing build, I'll start over with a new kit.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 12:42:40 PM by tipatina »

Offline tipatina

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2024, 11:18:01 AM
Paul, I have been looking my build over and am now a little more confident that I can replace my damaged power transformer. I don't see it  listed under the parts section of the website. How do I go about ordering?

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2024, 07:16:15 AM
We are off racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats for the next week and a half. When we get back after September 1st you can contact Eileen at [email protected] and she can take your transformer order.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tipatina

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2024, 04:16:51 PM
Thanks Doc B. Will be in touch

Offline tipatina

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2024, 06:28:14 AM
In the meantime I ordered and completed another Crack. Resistance and voltage checks passed on the first try. Initial listening through 650's is fine. I made one minor (I think/hope) error. In attaching the caps at 20U-21U and 12U-13U I didn't completely flatten it onto the terminal strip and they sticks out a little preventing fitting the assembly into the wooden base. A slight bend takes care of that. I plan to leave it unless this will create a problem.
Attached photo from an earlier stage of the build shows the caps.

Offline tipatina

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2024, 10:14:52 AM
Regarding above:
1) Crack replacement kit-see my question regarding cap position

2) Crack kit with damaged transformer,-just ordered a replacement transformer from Bottlehead today, The kit is otherwise fully built and I noticed the transformer problem (see above) during resistance checks. Ill try to put the new one in and connect the wires using labels I made for the wires, the manual and my completed kit as guides. Any caveats are appreciated. Thanks

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2024, 12:58:25 PM
If a slight bend helps the caps fit, that won't cause any operational issues.

Paul "PB" Birkeland