Ripping LP to PC help

kill_surf_city · 957

Offline kill_surf_city

on: September 30, 2024, 02:16:52 PM
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Hopefully someone here can help figure this out. I’m not new to ripping vinyl to my PC. I use the phono output RCA and connect to my PC via a RCA to 3.5mm jack that plugs into the microphone in on my PC. I usually use Izotope RX Audio Editor to record the LP. I have never had an issue getting sound into my PC. But I have tried a couple different cables, I’ve tried Audacity, and I even bought a USB to RCA cable just in case it was my audio in on the PC not working. And I’ve tried every combination of these things. I just cannot seem to get an audible signal from my preamp!

Just a couple details that may matter, I am using a LOMC cartridge. It’s a Dynavector XX2. And I have the proper step-up transformers installed on the Eros. When I have this plugged into my amp it plays perfectly. I’m not sure but I think this might be the first time I’m trying to rip an LP since I built my Eros. The only thing I can think of is that it’s the preamp seeing as I’ve used different cables. Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 02:20:52 PM
I would definitely suggest getting an inexpensive USB audio interface if you're just using the built in motherboard microphone jack.  Something like an M audio Fast Track Pro with some XLR to RCA adapters will bump up the quality quite a bit. 

In your PC, there are settings in the sound menu for the microphone being used and the levels, etc.  It's possible that you're just defaulting to a different microphone or that the level slider is turned down.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 02:41:57 PM
I would definitely suggest getting an inexpensive USB audio interface if you're just using the built in motherboard microphone jack.  Something like an M audio Fast Track Pro with some XLR to RCA adapters will bump up the quality quite a bit. 

In your PC, there are settings in the sound menu for the microphone being used and the levels, etc.  It's possible that you're just defaulting to a different microphone or that the level slider is turned down.

I’ve looked at every setting I can. I can see my program that it’s picking up a signal from the Line In Input but it’s just silence. Like my PC is recognizing that something is plugged in. I’m just not getting any audio.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 03:09:21 PM
I would double check the device settings in your capture software to be sure it's grabbing from whatever that microphone is called in the sound properties. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man