Uh oh! I painted the wrong side of the chassis. 🥲

pbvoorhees · 249

Offline pbvoorhees

Somehow I managed to read the manual and still paint the wrong side of the chassis plate.

Question: Can I still use the painted chassis side facing up with the orientation reversed?

(In case this is not clear: when I place the chassis plate in the wood base with painted side up, the IEC power inlet is now in the back left corner -- instead of the right as directions indicate).

Please help me understand:
1. If I can proceed with the reversed chassis plate orientation, and
2. If there are any implications or problems that may arise due building the kit with a reversed chassis plate.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on my noob mistake.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:52:41 PM
You must build it with the chassis panel orientation shown in the manual. Trying to reverse it will likely lead to many, many issues. Based upon our few years of experience we determined that we cannot support a kit that has been built on the reverse side of the chassis. Best bet is to paint the chassis panel on the proper side and scrape off the paint on the wrong side around the safety ground screw and all the terminal strip mounting holes

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pbvoorhees

Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:18:43 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Doc B.

I will assume it is safe to just use an orbital sander and remove (most of) the paint on the bottom of the chassis plate. (I will be sure to clear the area around the ground screw and terminal strip mounting holes).

And then apply paint to correct side of the chassis plate.

If there is a better solution or option than my solution above, I am open to suggestion.

Again, a bit embarrassed but glad I asked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:21:14 PM by pbvoorhees »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:45:27 PM
Sure, you can just sand off all the paint and start over if you would rather. Or use paint remover, maybe even just acetone depending upon the paint and how long it has had to set up. Just scraping down to bare metal around the holes I mention would be adequate for electrical purposes.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.