S.E.X. Ehnancement

hirez69 · 12385

Offline hirez69

on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:00 AM
After one year of wonderful listening with my S.E.X. amplifier (Full Magnequest Nickel iron supplement and C4S, DACT pot) I would ask if there are other changes to further improvement of the sound.
I ask you to suggest  everything that in your experience has proved successful:

Components replacement,
tubes (Tung Sol?), capacitor (Mundorf Silver Oil?), resistor (499R?) replacement.....

Thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 04:49:31 AM
I'm a capacitor junkie.  So...

The Parafeed capacitor could be replaced with a better capacitor.  I have suggested Obbligato 2.2uF@630V to several posters who were happy with them but the value changes when you upgrade the iron, I think.  You might want to check into what value you need.  But remember, capacitors are a flavoring, each sounds a little different and they must appeal to your taste.  There are a lot to choose from.  This is the biggest improvement.

This is a post comparing the cost (only) of capacitors that could be used in a Seduction or FP 2.  It will give you names of manufacturers and some sources:

Old Capacitor Comparison

The second largest bang for the buck is in modifying the power supply capacitors.  The B+ capacitor (47uF@450V) could be replaced with a better capacitor (Obbligato Film/Oil) or just bypassed with a much better capacitor (KK Teflon).  The bypassing is easy, quick and can be done with jumper clips for comparison.  But remember there are some really dangerous voltages there ! ! !  

The "Rpsu" could be replaced with a choke, I don't have suggestions.  

Then last the interstage coupling capacitor (0.1uF@630V) can be replaced with a better capacitor.  This makes some difference but a bit less than the other suggestions.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:45:29 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:39 AM
V-cap 0.1 coupling cap. I have a 1uf Mundorf parafeed cap in now but I would like to try some higher values to see if I can get a bit more bass out of the amp.
If you want to have some fun with large caps you can replace the 22uf and 47 uf with large obbligatto power supply caps.
I prefer the non-RCA coin based tubes....

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline dmannnnn

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:06:17 PM
I have stated before that I believe a 'ladder style' attenuator with good resistors sounds more transparent than the DACT, especially at lower volume levels.  If the DACT is wired as a standard series attenuator, there will be up to 23 resistors in the signal path along with all the solder joints (I also have a completely unfounded bias against surface mount resistors).  The ladder style has only 2 resistors no matter what level it is set at.  Here is the thread:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,94.0.html

At your most used listening levels you can use 'Super-Duper-Top-of-the-Line' resistors.  You will only need 2 for each position you want to upgrade.

I have a 1uf Mundorf parafeed cap in now but I would like to try some higher values to see if I can get a bit more bass out of the amp.
I got better bass response out of my amp by wiring it for 4 ohms.  Though, it probably depends on your speakers .

Harmon Kardon T60 - Hagerman Bugle - Cal Audio Labs CL15
ForePlayIII - Paramount 300B's
Klipsch RF-7/Altec Model 14/Magnepan MG12

Offline BNAL

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 02:49:44 PM
I use Russian Teflons for coupling and film in oil Obbligatos for parafeed and have been very happy with the performance. I will have to look at the caps on the B+. Sounds like that would make a nice tweek. Also, sounds like from the Quickie forum that chokes maybe even better.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline audiblesoundwave

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:11:37 AM

Hi,

Does this 'ladder style' attenuator wire as way as stated in the manual?

Thanks,
Milton