Parabee purchase opportunity - your views?

ToolGuyFred · 2228

Offline ToolGuyFred

on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:59 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase an un-built Parabee kit. The guy says he just wants what he paid for it. Would this be a good buy or should I keep saving for a pair of Paramounts?

(I am currently running a pair of Parasex amps with just about everything upgraded, including the iron to Magnequest. Speakers are Lowther Acousta 115s with DX3 drivers and are more than loud enough.)

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:39:28 AM
On the plus side, the TFA-2004 output transformers are truly excellent and worth a large chunk of change, especially the nickel core for 300Bs.

On the minus side, the AC filament power will produce a bit of hum and the Steve Bench hum cancelling circuit helps only a little.

Harder to assess:

* You could make a DC supply for the filament, if your power line voltage is at least 120v. Design details were posted on the old Forum, back in the day...

* The voltage rating on the power supply capacitors and rectifiers has very little margin - especially if your power line voltage exceeds 120v.

* You could probably implement the Paramount soft-start shunt regulated driver, though there are no specific instructions for that adaptation. This is the biggest technical improvement we have adopted since that time.

* The old-style 6" by 10" chassis plate is a bit cramped, and has no IEC socket so the power cord is soldered directly to the circuitry. I know some folks cut a suitable hole in the wood base for that.

Paul Joppa

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:51:58 AM
OK, that gives me food for thought. Thanks, Paul.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline anystereo

• plugged in & glowing
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:11:06 AM
Hi,

I got a pair of parabees and am considering significant changes so i am interested to hear about the improved driver config.  I am in if any one wants to take on this challenge. 

anystereo

ANYSTEREO bottlehead since 98'
Ortofon SPU - HisMaster'sNoisePhono,
Garrard401 w/
Ortofon RMG-309,
Thomas Meyer 01a Buffer,
Parabees with dc filaments, 6SJ7GT drivers w/ all nickel from Mike the Great
OB PM5A's,