Foreplay III listening level adjustment

Anton · 3679

Offline Anton

on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:54 PM
Hello,
I am full bottlehead now: Eros+Foreplay III + Paramounts 300B. My cartridge is Dynavector 20X2H (2.8 mV output). My speakers Cain&Cain Abby (sensitivity 95 dB).
So, the issue is - it is too loud. I barely can go to second lowest setting on Foreplay volume control. And it is too loud on second setting and not loud enough on the first.)))
What are my options here? I guess I have to replace resistors on attenuators - what resistor values can you recommend?
Another thing to mention - I am using base version of Foreplay now, but I have extended kit and going to upgrade some time in future. Will that upgrade affect volume levels?

I realize that this topic was probably discussed previously, but I couldn't find it in the forum - so if there is a thread on that - I will appreciate if somebody gives me a link.

Other than that - it sounds fantastic. Really like it.

Thank you - looking forward for some responses

Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:27:36 PM
Anton,

Look at page 24 of the FP III manual.  Keep in mind that the Extended will give a little more gain.  So go for the highest attenuation, volume reduction, you are comfortable with now.  If all the inputs need the same attenuation you can use the specified resistor between the selector switch and the volume controls, in series with the red wire that connects the two.  (instructions on page 25 picture on page 26)

If the Eros is quieter than your CD player then you can attenuate the CD player more.

Offline Anton

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48:31 PM
Granger,
Thanks a lot - you are helpful as always. I guess the manual is the place where I had to start in first place )))

Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:12:25 PM
For what it's worth:  I have the same setup, except for a higher output MM cartridge. I have the soft-start board, which reduces the Paramount gain about 5dB, but I still also have 12dB inline attenuators (Harrison Labs) at the Paramount inputs. You can add a voltage divider with one extra resistor per Paramount, which is probably the best idea - see my notes on signals and noise, on the Community page. I have not done this because I have two more experiments planned - a 6SN7 driver conversion (takes another 4dB off the gain), and an internal gain trim. My plan is to silicone a screwdriver-adjust PEC pot next to the driver. If I ever get around to these projects, I'll take pictures and post them!

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:01:56 AM
I am in the process of 'remodling' a FP III for another BH. I need to upgrade the resistors for the stepped attenuators, but have no manual to refer to. What are the values for the 15k attentuators?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15:35 AM
You should be able to read them off the resistors on the switches. here is a handy tool from the old forum.

http://samengstrom.com/5107960/en/read/Resistor_Color_Codes?history=610938

John Scanlon

4krow

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:54:30 AM
works for me...now where are those magnifiers?