Thinking of getting the SEX

eeyore · 1798

Offline eeyore

• Blog
on: February 24, 2011, 02:04:51 PM
Hi, have completed and am enjoying my Crack now, and was thinking of stepping up to the Sex kit, with its dual personality as a speaker amp as well. Further, I would like to purchase both the C4S and Magnequest upgrade at the same time. My headphones will be HD650, Audio Technica AD700, Beyer DT880 (600 ohm) and in the near future Grado SR60i and AKG K701/702. Bit of a headphone junkie, and with young kids, its the best audio experience I will get... Anyway, a few questions before I take the plunge.
  • How does this compare with the Yamamoto HA02 headphone amp, probably a similar amp in the same price range, etc as the SEX. But not as much power on the speakers and uses a single pentode stage.
  • How well, after the Magnequest upgrades, does it compare to a good 1W triode tube amp, obviously there are a lot of variables, but more about big picture stuff, for example, bass is a little lacking, highs rolled off, same midrange magic, etc. For reference I have a Decware Zen using EL84.
  • Does it work really well with the lower, 32 ohm, headphones?
  • What frequence response would I get (f-3db) with 32R headphones, 120R headphones and 16R speakers? (approximately of course...)
  • Will be pairing them with a 102db or 112dB horn loaded compression speaker, crossed over at around 800 Hz, it should have enough power to drive these speakers right? Both have very flat impedance above 800Hz

Thanks very much for any input!

David

Bottlehead Crack :: HD650, Beyer DT880(600), ATH-D700

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:07:17 PM
David,

You can order the C4S at the same time as the kit, but you have to order the upgraded iron directly from Magnequest, and there may be some delays with that.

It wasn't clear if you meant to ask othher questions, and although my s.e.x. is not yet completed, there are some questions I would feel comfortable answering.  And I'm sure there are others who will be glad to give you their opiniions as well, including experrience with different cans.

I plan to use mine with Sennheiser HD-600s, perhaps some Ety 4Ss and eventually some AKG K-601s.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)