S.E.X. caps question

rbruinsma · 3147

Offline rbruinsma

• Go with the flow....
    • Personal Blog
on: February 24, 2011, 10:46:40 PM
I've received my S.E.X. kit a few weeks ago and started to work with the outside and a new copper & chromed plate. Meanwhile I'am reading a lot of the S.E.X. and howto upgrade the kit, I also ordered the C45 kit. At this moment I'am looking into the S.E.X. caps and found some posts of people who upgraded the coupling caps and the output caps with Auricaps. Now, I'am a newbie and do not have a lot of experience with electronics (not yet) my questions is, which of these S.E.X. caps are the output and the coupling caps?:
( ) 4- 220 uF 200V electrolytic capacitors ( ) 2

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:15 PM
According to the schematic the two 0.1uF 630V caps go between the first stage and the second stage.  The two 1.0uF 630V caps are the output caps.  Those are listed below the ones you list in the parts list.

Offline rbruinsma

• Go with the flow....
    • Personal Blog
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:50 PM
According to the schematic the two 0.1uF 630V caps go between the first stage and the second stage.  The two 1.0uF 630V caps are the output caps.  Those are listed below the ones you list in the parts list.
Thanks for the quick response. What is your opinion on replacing these caps for Auricaps? Is this a good upgrade or should I consider other ones...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:28 PM
The Auricaps will be a definite improvement.  They are the favorite cap of many Bottleheads, don't cost too much and always improve the sound.

The two final power supply caps are also good to upgrade.  Those are the 47uF 450V and 22uF 450V caps.  You don't need to buy Auricaps here.  PIO (paper in oil) and Obbligato caps are good candidates, but big. 

Obbligato:  http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/35

BTW, I like the Obbligato 2uF 630V cap for output caps.  Cheap and good sounding. 

Offline rbruinsma

• Go with the flow....
    • Personal Blog
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:02:11 AM
Thanks, I will look into these mods!