Help, my s.e.x. kit won't work

Heavysound · 2731

Offline Heavysound

on: February 26, 2011, 02:49:57 AM
Well, I didn't build it, but now the kit is mine by way of acquisition. It was part of a large storage unit buy that actually included TWO sex kits and a bunch of other cool stuff too (see original post: http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1522.0.html)

Anyway, I hooked everything up and it all seems to work ok except for this extra sex kit. I can get it to power up and both the tubes light up but no sound comes out. I've inspected all the internals over and over and I don't see any broken solders etc..  

A few things I have noticed:
* one of the large yellow capacitors has a big burn mark and part of the outer is melted.
* the left tube does not seat all the way down because of what appears to be a messy solder
* initially there was a broken capacitor that fell off (see pic) but has since been repositioned in it's proper place. When I say repositioned I mean that I was not able to re-solder it because I could not figure out how to reach it so instead I just wedged it back in place so that both posts are making firm contact with proper terminals etc..

Perhaps one of the above factors is the culprit? If a tube lights up, can it be assumed it is making good contact and functioning properly even if it is not seated all the way down?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:01:38 AM by Heavysound »

Offline Heavysound

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:36:09 AM
Actually, the more I read through the various posts here, the more I realize how lost I will be asking for help on something I know absolutely nothing about and while I do have a voltage/ohm meter, I have no idea how to use it. For example, should the unit be unplugged so that I don't kill myself? But how will I get readings if no current is passing? See what I mean.

Considering I have about zero knowledge of how this stuff works, I think I'll probably just try to sell it or keep it for parts or something (even though many of the parts look different from my other sex kit).

I looked for a classifieds forum here and didn't see one. Anyone interested? Anyone know anybody in the San Diego area who could fix this?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:00:25 AM
You have a PM...John

John Scanlon

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:45 AM
Did either of them happen to come with a cd-rom of the assembly instructions?  Or, perhaps a print-out of them?

With that, I daresay you could troubleshoot it yourself, especially since you have one working unit to guide you.  In fact, you would even have a guide about using your meter safely.

Otherwise, I would suggest contacting Bottlehead directly for advice. They're very helpful, and they may even have some idea of the history of some of your acquisitions.

Jim C.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:58:39 AM
Just a note, this one seems to have the iron upgrade - top quality transformers and chokes from Magnequest - and premium Auricaps (one of which is damaged, at least cosmetically and possible more than that). I see a missing power supply capacitor as well. My guess is, this was undergoing some repair and/or upgrading, and was put into storage before that job as completed.

Do look for the manual as JC suggests. We always encourage people to insist on the manual before buying used gear, especially kits. It would be especially important if you want to work on it yourself, or if you want to sell it to someone who does.

Paul Joppa

Offline Heavysound

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:26:42 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the help so far. Unfortunately there are no manuals for this stuff that I can find anywhere.

It seems like if it's missing a power supply cap, the repair might not be as easy as I thought. Is it strange that the tubes still light up?

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:38:47 AM
Any updates Heavy? The tubes will light as long as the heaters are connected and working. As a first step, I'd personally remove the capacitors so you can see what's going on and match up the work to a finished photo. A manual would be ideal as certain terminals have 3+ parts connected to them. The Auricap looks like it would benefit from a replacement, and the power supply cap should be able to be found at Mouser.

If this seems like too much hassle, I'm sure a DIYer would be willing to buy it from you as it has the nice Magnequest iron.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:37 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the help so far. Unfortunately there are no manuals for this stuff that I can find anywhere.

It seems like if it's missing a power supply cap, the repair might not be as easy as I thought. Is it strange that the tubes still light up?

Bottlehead will sell you the manual. 

A missing power supply cap will cost you a few dollars.  There are lots of places to find them if you don't know ask.

There are two power supplies, one for the heaters and one for the high voltage (B+).  The heaters glow, the B+ makes the tubes work.  So yes, you can have glow even if there is a B+ capacitor missing.