Paramount soft start for Paraglows -help

Bryon · 2007

Offline Bryon

on: February 26, 2011, 02:11:39 PM
Hi

After a couple of weeks in transit, the soft start upgrade package made it to my door a couple of days ago. 

Now, I need to find a way to make it work with my beloved Paraglows, which have been sitting idle for a very long time [thank god for the Stereomour].  I checked out the soft start manual and construction looks pretty straight forward if you are retrofiting it into a Paramount but confusing when the recipient is a Paraglow.

I've managed, with help from the Doc and Paul and other forum members, to sucessfully complete a wide range of Bottlehead kits and upgrades but I remain basically a solder by number kind of guy.  I know I want to get bulk foil resistors for the critical R1 position, even though the supplied one is pretty good, so I'll need to know what value the Paraglows are going to need. 

Could someone help walk me through this? 

thanks in advance

Bryon

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:54:28 PM
We can try anyhow. I have a low-grade copy of some version of a manual, but of course no actual amp.

Firs thing, what's on your Paraglows? Which power transformer - PGP8.1, or deYoung? Do you have a 5965 driver or a 6N1P? Are teh sections paralleld or does it use a single section?

It might be a good idea to take a picture of the underside so we have some clear idea of what you actually have.

It's probably also a good idea to make sure the Paraglows are working now, so we'll only have to debug the new parts. If they are working, best to check the power supply voltage at your power line voltage; if it's a bit high then I'd suggest replacing the electrolytic caps, which are getting old. (How old is this amp? The manual I have is incomplete but shows a 1998 date on teh circuit.)

Added afterthought - the critical R1 resistor is 237 ohms. Try to stay within 5% if you can.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:22:59 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa