single frequency tuner

pro_crip · 2099

Offline pro_crip

on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:18 AM
I do occasionally listen to the radio, and when I do it's only 1 station (89.5 WSOU). How much easier would it be to build a tuner that would only pull in that 1 frequency? Internet tuning isn't an option because I hate computers (kinda ironic) and they are banned from the listening room. Besides, my radio alarm clock sounds better. Thanks for listening.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:23 PM
That sounds like a college station frequency. I listen to one of those on occasion for a Blues Show.

Making a tuner, single frequency or otherwise probably would not be practical. Here is what I recommend. Look on eBay for a Dynaco FM-3. You can usually find them for under $100 dollars. They are easily to work on and there are many documented mods that make these old tuners sound sweet. 

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:52:58 PM
If you get an FM-3, run the alignment procedure, which is available on the web. At several points, it calls for alternating adjustments using stations at one end of the spectrum, then the other. If you use your favorite station for the low end, and always finish the adjustments with that one, then the tuner will be optimally aligned for that station, whether or not you tune in others now and then.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:09:28 AM
One can also tune the antenna for a particular frequency. And there is an article in the old VALVE newsletter that Buddha wrote about tweaking an FM-3. I have that FM-3 and it works very nicely.

Speaking of FM-3s I also happen to have a somewhat rough FM-2, a PAS-2 and a Stereo 70 at the office right now. They are from the estate of Jacqui Naylor's father. The family has been liquidating quite an interesting and eclectic collection, from exotic vacuum tubes (I recently sold a pair of Raytheon 2A3Hs, an RCA single plate 2A3 and a NOS biplate 2A3 for the estate) to rare textbooks to a 1930 Packard in running condition. The proceeds from all of this are going to take care of Jacqui's mom. I'll be entertaining offers on the Dynaco gear at the Head-Fi meet tomorrow. Oh yeah, there is also a single Heathkit WM-5 available.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pro_crip

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:16:02 AM
The FM3 route looks like the way I'm going to go, there's one on the auction site for 10 bucks. Which I ended up winning. There's cosmetic damage on the rear cage (some steel rust, primer and paint will take care of that) and the dial face and it's missing a fuse cap (easily replaced I assume). I could get it up to speed and slowly add whatever mods are out there. Thanks for that alignment tip PJ, yes it is a college radio station. Ad-free metal baby!! Where can I get my mitts on that Valve article? Someone selling cd-roms of back issues somewhere? Doc were you referring to the James Lin article in Glass (stumbled across that at another site)? Thanks for listening.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:45:29 AM by pro_crip »

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up