AC Voltage

8452 · 2745

Offline 8452

on: March 06, 2011, 03:53:44 PM
The subject of input voltage has been discussed extensively in this forum, but I don't recall this discussion relative to the Seduction. Voltage at my outlets measures between 123VAC to 126VAC. I have had my Paramounts on a variac as recommended by this forum. My question is, is this voltage doing damage to my C4 Sedutcion?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:31:58 PM
Seduction is not harmed by slightly high line voltage. It deliberately runs the heaters at a reduced voltage (to extend low-noise lifetime), and the C4S makes the high voltage irrelevant over a wide range.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:12:54 AM
A variac may need periodic touch up.  I have adjusted my system's incoming voltage to 117V in a different way.

This has fallen to the fourth page of the General forum:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1372.0.html

Highly recommended for the $400 investment.  You have to find a "swinging deal" to buy it at that price.

Offline 8452

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:22 AM
Grainger49, you and I have gone down similar paths, though with different results. I lived with a Powerwedge for about 20 years and loved it. Realizing the Paramounts needed lower voltage input, I decided to buy a PS Audio PPP. I thought this would be a more elegant solution than adding a variac. When I got everything hooked up, the voltage reading on the PPP was 121 VAC. The outlet was measuring 128VAC, though that reading only lasted a week and I haven't measured that high since. I called PS Audio and they indicated that the PPP will adjust voltage by up to 7 volts.  The PPP can be adjusted to to increase the voltage step down, but at the same time putting more stress on the unit. After I got the PPP adjusted, I settled in for some listening. I heard most of the same things you did with your P300. I was especially taken with the black background. What I never got used to was the hardness in the highs, which never went away after 100 hrs of break in. So, I sold the PPP and bought a used Audio Magic Stealth XXX for power cleaning (big improvement) and us a variac for voltage control. I leave my multimeter attached to the variac so I can get the desired voltage each time I turn it on. I usually set it to 115VAC because it sounds better there. I have never observed the voltage changing during a listening session.

The P300 is an intriguing option. A lot of people like them better than the PPP, and there are always a few for sale on AudioGon. Monarchy still makes a regenerator, but it only handles 100 watts input. One of the neat things about the Monarchy is that you can adjust output frequency and voltage (100-120), though the low power probably makes it more suitable for front end components There are the Pure Power regens as well.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:51:14 PM
WOW ! Your PPP was a total PITA!  It seems odd after making the P300, P600, P1200, P1000, P500 they have so much trouble with the PPP.  But there have been problems all the way along.  The P300 got a fan, which mine doesn't have, to help it dissipate the heat it generates. 

There are two new regenerators, Power Plant 10 and Power Plant 5.  There are thousands of PS Audio regenerators out there and some have had problems, quite a few PPPs seem to have had problems right out of the box like yours.  I hate to say that about a product that I enjoy but if you read PS Audio's own board you find a number of complaints. 

BTW, the P300 can adjust voltage from 90V to (IIRC) 130V.