fostex 206e

vpeele · 8864

Offline vpeele

on: March 08, 2011, 10:48:44 AM
Hi Forum, i

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:37 AM
Fostex speakers are reported to "shout" while under break in.  My suggestion is to put the speakers facing each other, wire one out of phase so they make less sound, then play them as loud as you can stand it. 

Throwing blankets or any other sound absorbing material over them also softens the irritation of break in.

It should help and can't hurt.

Offline howardnair

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:02:11 PM
i have had success with the 208 es-i run mine without  any crossover on the fostex-{{it is a full range}} and a 5.6 on the tweeter but that of course was for my tweeters-- yours may require something different-even a first order crossover would require only a cap and a coil for the fostex--i am not sure what that is you have there for a crossover-you need a small cap for your tweeter or the low frequencies will make short work of it-i looked at the acoustic reality site-it does not look right at all-doc or paul maybe can explain--as grainger says the fostex's  do shout during break-in -- just play them for a while-i have 3 pairs of full range speakers that only have a cap on the tweeter-2 of those pairs are fostex-and those tweeters are ribbons-for me it works

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:51:15 PM
Howard,

Thanks, I couldn't figure out the crossover schematic either.  It didn't make sense to me but I'm not much with crossovers.

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:14:47 PM
I just built a pair of full range speakers using the Fostex 206en.

I used no crossover for the 206.  I just added an  fostex T90A super tweeter and used a 1uf cap.  The super tweeter is rear firing and just adds some "sparkle" to the top end.  To help with the shrillness I put a couple pieces  of foam between the main and whizzer cones.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:13 PM
where did you get the cabinet design.  I used the madisound BK-20 a Back loaded Horn.  The bass, and mids sound incredible.   The high end was a little shrill, but the foam trick I mentioned in the previous post helped a lot.  Also they need a long break in period on the order of 100hrs or more

You can use an Lpad but I think that will just attenuate the entire range.   

You may want to try a BSC.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline vpeele

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:04:51 AM
Hi all, I did follow your instructions to run the fostex speakers for one hundred hours plus. I also eliminated that crossover.
I

Offline vpeele

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:24 AM
Hi all, I added a 20ohm resistor and
2.2 inductor notch filter to the fostex 206e driver. There is a 2.2 cap on the tweeter.
This reduce that upper midrange shout very nicely.
The sound is much smoother and not irritating-fatiguing.
The bass is better because I'm able to turn up the
volume. For me it's just more balanced. Here is the crossover. Thanks, van