Maximum Length for S/PDIF Digital Coax Cable

AudioDave · 7488

Offline AudioDave

on: March 08, 2011, 02:51:51 PM
I am in the process of setting up my PC music server to my Bottlehead  equipment.  I will be connecting my PC's Asus Xonar D2 sound card's S/PDIF out coax connection to my DIO modded DAC with a digital coax cable and I  wondering what the maximum recommended length of cord is that I can use.  I need probably 15 feet.  Is that to much?
Thanks,
Dave

Offline dannyr

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:59:11 PM
Hi, I've read that 10meters is the intended max for 75ohm SPDIF. Though a lot seems to depend on how good/strong the output is from the source component. Others have ran a lot more without a hitch and some of had issues with less. Cable quality also seems paramount. A good quality pro cable like Belden 1505a, 1694, Canare L-4CFB, L-5CFB, Gepco vpm2000, vsd2001 seems in order. Thank god for Markertek.  In a pinch people have used quad shielded RG6 that you can find at Radioshack, Homedepot etc. I've read to try look for a sold copper center conductor if you go that route though due to it not attenuating as much of the signal over the length of the run. I just ran 30 feet of good pro video cable from my computer to a dac to listen to some 24bit stuff using Canare L-4CFB and it worked. Sad part my 24bit dac isnt near as good quality as the one that will only do 16bit so a upgrade sometime is in order:(.

Anyway good luck with everything.

Dan

Offline AudioDave

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:07 AM
Thanks for your reply Dan,  that's good information to know. Much appreciated
Dave

Offline dannyr

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:56:15 AM
Anytime. Glad to help. Please drop a note on how things go.

Dan