Which BH amp for Audeze LCD-2?

Jim R. · 6971

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: March 22, 2011, 04:14:32 PM
Just wondering if the s.e.x will work for the Audeze LCD-2s or would the upcoming Smack be a better choice?

Very interested in these orthodymnamic cans?  Especially that they don't apparently need a monster amp like the hifi man LE models.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:33 AM
Almost nothing that I have heard is a really great match for LCD-2s. I hope to try Paramounts with them at some point. I suspect that might be the best combination.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

kvh

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 06:28:26 PM
i would have thought the one-off bh headphone amp w/ tl-404 would have been great, that's disappointing...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:14:56 AM
i would have thought the one-off bh headphone amp w/ tl-404 would have been great, that's disappointing...

Actually I haven't tried that combination, so I can't say.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

kvh

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:37:04 PM
thanks for the update. i really want to try these but knowing my luck i will get a pair right before they announce the new and improved model which trounces the older one. plus figuring out what amp to pair it with. from what i've seen the recommendation going around for these and the he-6 is a regular speaker amp.. vintage lower power push pull stuff.. would the impedance match from an 8 or 16 ohm tap be that out of whack for these (50 if i recall)? somewhere at head-fi a dynaco st-35 w/ 100 ohm resistors in series w/ output (per the manual) was suggested..

i used to use paramours w/ resistors & headphones and enjoyed it...

too many options and not enough money to try them out. crack + 650s, lcd-2 + ?, need a phono stage, need to restore 2 turntables to use the phono stage........ madness.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:07:41 AM
I think the low output impedance of a speaker amp will be beneficial, as a lot of amps sound flabby on the bottom end with them. The lower impedance tap can help tighten up the bass and if you have (relative to headphone amps) a lot of power the amp won't run out of voltage to drive them.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

kvh

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:33:50 PM
thanks, doc. if you find a good combo please let us know. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:36:02 PM by kvh »